Tuesday 20 November 2012



David Bailey Analysis


Having looked at Bailey's work when I was doing my Photography GCSE, I have a rough understanding of his work - although having not looked too far into his work I have gathered information about his life and work which was not covered at GCSE level.

Name: David Royston Bailey.
Born: 2nd January 1938 - current.
Place of Birth: East End, London, England.

The photo which I have chosen to headline this post is a picture of the Kray brothers. Although Bailey is more famous of his picture of the Kray twins alone, I find this picture more interesting. The Kray twins were famous for their animosity in the British mafia scene. He is also well known for taking pictures of such famous people as Will Smith, Jimmy Nail,  The Beetles and his long range of self portraits.

The picture that i have chosen was taken in 1965. The Kray twins were infamous in the mob scene in the 1950's and 1960's. I think this photo was taken to try and capture them in a stern and imposing light, which reflects their lives as gangsters at that time.

No comments:

Post a Comment