Wednesday 30 January 2013

F4 / 1 second / ISO 400 / 50mm 
After reviewing my portraits, I came to the decision that I would not want it as my final outcome. After doing multiple club jobs, I have become more skilled in this area. The elongated light trails that are reminiscent of light painting photographers such as Patrick Rochon, bright colours, negative spaces and candid nature that are captured in my photography, I believe are more aesthetically pleasing than any portrait. I feel that my photography captures the vibrance of the club, which is what my clients like to see. Being aware of this, I try to use slow shutter speeds to create light trails from the strobes that the lighting systems produce. 

F4 / 2 seconds / ISO 400 / 50mm
One thing I like doing is capturing single people,  something that I seem to be forced to do when using a 50mm in a tight space. Capturing one person, with a low iso, creates a large amount of negative space. Negative space is the dark areas that are empty. Something I try to pride myself on is my composition. So I like to keep the subject in the middle of the frame and have a large amount of light entering the picture, but at the same time having a lot of empty space. There are other photographers that I try to not replicate but incorporate some aspects of their style in my work. 

Tom Horton Photography
Tom-Horton.co.uk
F4 / 1 second / ISO 400 - 50mm 
This is photographer Tom Horton, a photographer whose style I admire greatly. I like the fact he can get in close with his subjects and capture their skin tones perfectly even when using slower shutter speeds. I think that he is very good at capturing the moment, which is something I have tried to replicate in the photo below. I'm currently happy with the settings I use, however to replicate what he does, I would have to probably buy a more expensive camera and an expensive fast focusing lens with a smaller focal length. I do not feel my 50mm is suitable for club work, however the manual override makes it good to use when wanting to capture the moment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment